Pages

Friday 15 May 2015

Gifted Gorgeousness in May

Well Hello.

"Gifted Gorgeousness" is a link-up that Jo over at Serendipitous Stitching runs, for people to share the beautiful gifts they have been creating during the month. And for once, I'm posting on the actual day we're supposed to!

Unfortunately I can't share very much of what I've been making over the last couple of months as it's for an online swap. You can have a couple of peeks...

... but that's it. I have to say I am enjoying making this soo much! I've tried out lots of new skills and made something that I love, but I definitely wouldn't want to own. That's the joy of a swap or gift; it caters to someone else's tastes so you get to stretch just a bit further.

Have a look over here to see more gifted gorgeousness this month!



I've also been thinking about my efforts for "take a talent" and Nepal over the past couple of weeks. Here is my collection of creative Nepal memorabilia:


There are some beautiful cushion covers, a plain blue sari with bangles, a hand-made card and a calendar I had printed after I got back, with pictures I had taken.

As I was photographing these I was thinking about how little I had taken away from the country because the real gifts were the people, and the friends I made. I went there to work not play, and souvenirs seemed gimmicky in the light of that.

I've also been torn between making something pretty that people will buy 'just because'- or sticking with my initial intentions to make something along the lines of my work, that people would buy in spite of the charity aspect rather than because of it.

And (just 10 minutes ago) it came to me- if people are the treasure that I've taken with me from Nepal, people is what I could make! I'd like to make a variation on paper dolls, maybe with different sets of clothes from different cultures, and I'm not sure whether they'd be made from laminated card or cloth. I know I'd find that useful, even in the setting I'm in now.

I'm still open to ideas or offers of support (my illustration skills leave plenty to be desired) but feel much better now I've got the beginnings of an idea :-)

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part in GG this month. And for the sneaky peeks at your secret project.
    I like the idea of making dolls. My sister travels a lot and she always buys fabric and embellishments which she then makes into handbags as souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ooh that is a brilliant idea, I might have to borrow it for future travels! I'm never any good at buying souvenirs but I could probably manage that.

      Delete
  2. Dolls is a great idea. Don't need a lot of fabric or fashion designer talent, sometimes simple drape gives a great effect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I'm thinking the more simple the better, trying to work out how to construct them best now.

      Delete
  3. I like your doll idea. The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I like the idea of them being something that can be expanded on over time

      Delete
  4. Great post! Love your idea of the paper dolls... can't wait to see what you do with them :o)
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I'm looking forward to having a fun day making some plans :-)

      Delete
  5. Dolls would be great. The fundraising (for Nepal) afternoon tea I went to on Saturday had lovely floral teddies for sale and everyone loved them. How about finger puppets too? Great for encouraging communication <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like fun, I hope it went well! I'm thinking about using magnetic paper to begin with- printing is much easier than sewing lots of little bits! xx

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of the dolls, great GG post - I always love a sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! The project has changed even since I took those pictures but looking forward to sharing the finished items :-)

      Delete