Pages

Wednesday 31 December 2008

Reminiscence

Today I was reading through my journal of the past year. The idea was to get an overview of what had happened and then use up the final few pages to reflect and bring out the highlights. I wish I could be that structured and disciplined in my writing. But reading through was interesting- there has been a continuity this year from January-December rather than the usual September-September, and that gives me a greater sense of expectation for the year to come.

I heard a guy preach just before Christmas; he had an amazing prophetic gift and spoke some things that I really needed to hear into my life. But before that he was talking about 2008 and 2009. His message was that what was sown in 2008 would be reaped in 2009. That night I sowed forgiveness into friends that have hurt me and repentance for my attitude towards them. But over the year I have also sown- time and money into 24/7 prayer, 'students' group, India, and relationships with housemates, coursemates and other friends. What was sown in 2008 will be reaped in 2009. I can't wait! What have you sown?

I just read a post by David about faith which is such a challenge. He explains that faith isn't really faith until it is your only option! It's so easy for the soul to see a chalenge and immediately start trying to find human ways around it, but faith doesn't even entertain those thoughts. I gotta admit that I have entertained those thoughts- planned through the possibilties and eventualities, and even discussed those with other people- but I need to start speaking a language of faith, sowing faith into my own heart with my own words ('Faith comes by hearing') and then maybe we can move on a bit sooner :)

See, I'm not good at planning. This isn't the reflection I had hoped to write. But, as one year ends and another begins I will leave my past behind and step into the new year. Here's a great poem that sums it up:

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
"Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown!"
And he replied:
"Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way."

So, I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night
And He led me toward the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.

So, heart, be still!
What need our little life,
Our human life, to know,
If God hath comprehension?
In all the dizzy strife
Of things both high and low
God hideth His intention.
Mary Louise Haskins




Goodbye, 2008!

No comments:

Post a Comment